Lifetime journey

Due to MCO now I can finally sit down in front of my laptop and write down my reflection about my marriage.

I am  not sure how long we'll be considered newlyweds. It seems like a subjective label. When do you stop being newlyweds? Is it when you hit the year mark? Is it when you have kids? Not sure. Well, for now anyways, I am married for 128 days and I still considered myself as newlywed. The most frequent question I get asked is, ''what's married life like?" It's a funny question because I am not sure how am I supposed to respond other than, "Great! We are loving it!" The truth is there's  no simple answer. Marriage encompasses a hundred little gesture or moments within a given week.

But behind the well meaning question is a desire to congratulate me on my marriage and a true sense of intrigue. I am grateful for the congrats.

When we live in an age where marriage has gotten a pretty bad rap. Strife, affairs, abuse, divorce, frustrations, unhappiness, irreconcilable  differences are the too often takes of life after vows are exchanged. When someone has married, society has taught us just give it time. Someone will fall out of love. Someone will screw it out. However, I believe if one's put Jesus at the center of marriage, one day if we drop it and break it, it is reparable.

We were together for less than a year - about 9 months when he proposed. I kind of knew it was coming because we had talked  about rings and talked about marriage. We have, however, had some friends who have said it's too early and questioned whether we were "ready" to get married. But as long as we know it's right, that's all that matters. I think that when you know and are in the right place, then you know. We started talking about marriage after dating..hmm..maybe about 2 or 3 months.. I can't tell why but I have the peace in me.

I would say yes marriage life is great. A lot of "drama" happened which spiced up our marriage.

It is a joy to be able to sleep and wake up next to your favourite person most days and just being around each other without needing an excuse. He stayed when I was unreasonable and sassy. He held me when I cried, made me laugh when I was sad, nursed me when I was sick and listened to me when I needed to talk. It was always safe to be who I am with him.

However, I have to get used to his habits (good and bad) and realize a lot of things he did were just part of his personality and I had to be patient, instead of getting mad or upset. Sometimes we argued over something that seems unimportant. Fighting over silly stuff. Sometimes it can be very damaging. I need to constantly remind myself pick the battles and save our arguments for more important subjects. Let pet peeves remain just that.

Marriage is a lifetime journey. Everything is a learning experience. Just in no out. I am learning each day. To be a better person for him, for me and for us.

Still looking forward to every chance I get to see him at the end of everyday.





You have been my pillar through the initial period of uncertainty in my life. I am so blessed to have married you, such a capable, loving, generous, understanding man. 

Comments

Popular Posts