Itchy Itchy ya ya

I wanted to write about this because it was one of the major things that happened in 2019 so I feel like I need to keep a journal about this.

It was in June 2019, all of a sudden, out of the blue, I had hives over my entire body. Only my face was spared. The attack lasted from June through October. One day, after shower I could feel something stung me on my thigh. It wasn't very pain but it was itchy. So I just scratched it. After scratching it, the tiny spot started to spread all over my legs. After showing Jaron the wide red patches, he told me it was hives. I have never heard about hives and never had it before. I didn't feel any discomfort on my body besides itchiness. It went off after a few hours. I thought everything would be okay but it was not. The nightmare started.

The next morning, hives came again. And this time it appeared in other part of my body which was my hands.  So I quickly went to see doctor and he prescribed antihistamine for me. Doctor said there are many reasons to cause hives. Getting diagnosed is the difficult part. It lasted for about a week and it stopped. So I stopped the medicine too.

After one month, hives came without alarm again! I was panic this time because I thought it had gone off. So I took the antihistamine again which I didn't finish last time. However, it seems like it was getting more serious. Last time it only attacked in the morning but this time it came at any hour of the day. Morning, afternoon, evening even at night. So I went to see the same doctor again. He gave me a more heavy dose of antihistamine. However, it seems like the medicine didn't work so well this time as hives kept attacking me everyday. The medicine also caused drowsiness. There were many times I couldn't concentrate while I was teaching and I could easily doze off when I had free period. I couldn't focus on my work.

I had suffered with hives for 4 months. I had been on one hell of an emotional roller coaster. I had  experienced discomfort beyond words, cried myself to sleep night after night and been filled with fear at what is happening to my body. It can affect anyone at anytime and it changes lives dramatically. Yet there is so little understanding of the condition and the effect it can have on the patient's life.

It appears on the skin suddenly as red, swollen and itchy welts. It always unpredictable and extremely itchy and painful. There were many times I ran into toilet and cried for God and I got so so so frustrated when I saw all those awful red, swollen patches. It really affect my emotion a lot.

The most frustrated part is we could't find out what's causing the flare-up. We tried many different methods but it didn't seem to work. I fast and even eliminated foods from my diet, phased out soaps from my routine, tried to change my environment. But to no avail. I think mine belongs to chronic urticaria.

I did a blood test and the blood test result showed that I was allergic to something but couldn't find the cause of it. To get a more precise result I need to do another test which cost me RM 1800. I hesitated because this test already cost RM 500. I would have to spend so much money if I wanted to do another test.

What worried me the most is it was very near to my wedding. Who wants to get hives on the wedding day. One day, I couldn't stand with it anymore so I shouted to God that I wanted to get healed! It was on 31st October. For the first time in this four months that the hives didn't come and visit me! I was at camp that time. I still can remember on the day before I departed to camp my whole neck and chest were full with big red patched even my legs too! And it was very itchy. I even had the thought of not going to the camp. However, the patches slowly went off.

After that, hives didn't come back again even on my wedding day! I was so relief and keep thanking God for it. I didn't even need to spend money to do another blood test and I was healed!

I know there are still many people still suffer out there. I know the pain. Hang in there. Just keep believing that you will get healed one day!




I took many pictures of my even more severe red swells but my phone was spoiled so I couldn't retrieve those photos. 

Comments

Popular Posts